San Antonio Money Laundering Lawyer
Experienced Defense Against Money Laundering Charges in Texas
At The Law Office of John J. Fox, we defend individuals and businesses facing allegations of money laundering in Texas. Money laundering charges can have severe consequences, personally and professionally, making it crucial to have an experienced attorney. If you or someone you know is in need of a San Antonio money laundering lawyer, The Law Office of John J. Fox is your trusted advocate.
Call The Law Office of John J. Fox today at (210) 460-1221 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our money laundering attorney in San Antonio.
What is Money Laundering?
Money laundering is a complex financial crime that oftentimes involves concealing the origins of illegally obtained money.It typically consists of three stages:
- Placement: The unlawfully gained funds are introduced into the legitimate financial system at this stage. This may involve making small, frequent deposits, converting the funds into other assets, or using them to buy valuable items.
- Layering: In this phase, the money launderer attempts to obscure the source of the funds further by engaging in multiple financial transactions. These transactions are designed to create a web of confusion, making it challenging to trace the money back to its illegal source.
- Integration: Finally, the laundered funds are integrated into the legitimate economy, appearing as though they come from legal sources. This might involve investing the money, purchasing assets, or using it for various business activities.
What are the Penalties for Money Laundering in Texas?
The penalties for money laundering in Texas can be severe and may vary based on the specifics of the case. Money Laundering charges in Texas may include:
- $1,500 and $20,000 is considered a state jail felony, which is punishable by fines that can reach up to $10,000 and up to two years in jail.
- $20,000 and $100,000 is considered a third-degree felony, which is punishable by fines that can reach up to $10,000 and up to 10 years in prison.
- $100,000 and $200,000 is considered a second-degree felony, which is punishable by fines that can reach up to $10,000 and up to 20 years in prison.
- Amounts exceeding $200,000 are considered a first-degree felony, which is punishable by $10,000 and possible life imprisonment.
Defenses Against Money Laundering Charges
If you're facing money laundering charges in San Antonio, it's essential to remember that you have legal rights, and there are potential defenses available. Our San Antonio money laundering attorney, John J. Fox, can help build a strong defense tailored to your specific case. Some common defenses against money laundering charges include:
- Lack of Intent: Money laundering charges often hinge on proving criminal intent. If it can be demonstrated that you did not knowingly engage in money laundering, your defense may revolve around the absence of intent.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: Evidence acquired through an illegal search or seizure could be inadmissible in court. Challenging the lawfulness of the search and seizure is a potential defense strategy.
- Insufficient Evidence: The prosecution must be able to provide proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you engaged in money laundering. If insufficient evidence supports the charges, your attorney may argue for dismissal.
- Fourth Amendment Violations: Violations of your Fourth Amendment rights, such as unreasonable searches or seizures, can lead to excluding evidence in your case.
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, individuals may be wrongly accused of money laundering due to mistaken identity. Establishing an alibi or providing evidence that you were not involved can be a viable defense.
Contact Our Money Laundering Attorney in San Antonio Today
If you're facing money laundering charges in San Antonio, you need a skilled attorney to protect your rights and fight for your future. Don't let money laundering charges jeopardize your freedom and reputation. Contact The Law Office of John J. Fox today for a consultation with our San Antonio money laundering lawyer. We are committed to providing you with aggressive and effective legal representation, guiding you through the complexities of the legal system, and working tirelessly to secure the best possible outcome for your case. Your future is our priority.
Contact The Law Office of John J. Fox today to get started on your defense with our San Antonio money laundering lawyer.